About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Light as a feather: New Look 6303

This summer has been unbearably hot and humid and I wanted some tops that are as light as air, or a feather, or feel like you are wearing a whisper...get the drift?

Image result for images New Look 6303

When I checked the blogsphere, this pattern has quite a few very positive ratings so I went for it!  


My fabric choice was what I describe as a very lightweight knit mesh print.  I've had it in my stash for a while now and was waiting for the courage to stitch it up.  After using so many techniques when I created a chiffon top I felt encouraged and just went for it!


This top is rather boxy which you can see from the pattern envelope and when I hold out the sides for you.  I don't mind the shape at all.  I would never want a fabric like this to be fitted or clingy.


 

My only deviations from the pattern design was to add 2 inches to the backside and also the sleeve hems.  I didn't necessarily want them full length but I do like what I will call 7/8th length or maybe that is referred to as bracelet length?  


Finishes for this blouse included a serger and a straight stitch on my regular machine.  I was really worried about the serger stitch showing through the front side, but since my fabric is busy, I don't notice the stitching too much, do you?  



Look how awesome the neckband turned out!  I did hand baste the edges before topstitching.  


Just make sure you refer to the pattern directions and pattern pieces as the seam allowances are not consistent throughout.  


I tried using clear elastic in the sleeves but it was too narrow and I didn't feel like driving to JoAnn's again.



I also like that the extra length covers my backside really well!



I even had a purple cami to wear underneath!




I love my new top!  Especially with white jeans.  You can see in the photo we are working on our landscaping and also my faithful dog, Lucy.  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

9 comments:

  1. This is soooooo cute! I love your fabric choice and the way it looks on you. I'm sure you will wear it happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I think I will happily wear this too! ;)

      Delete
  2. Very pretty top. It looks great with your white jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job with the mesh! I never know what to do with mesh. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete