Garment one is Kwik Sew 3703. What took me so long to purchase and make this pattern up? Such a classic style and who doesn't want to look comfortable and chic during the summer?
This image from SPR seems to have come straight from Kwik Sew's catalog!
Obviously I made view B although don't be alarmed, the pattern is really that short, this is my wearable muslin and I opted to leave the contrast bottom band off.
I knew I would wear this with leggings and I think it is a great tunic length!
Sewing the neckline and armhole bands was a little futzy. For one thing, I had decided my coverstitch had been in time out for long enough and I broke it out at a semi-private sewing class to finally master the thing or put it up for sale. I knew I would have time to construct this on my serger when I was at the class. I just didn't bring my regular Bernina so I could baste the bands before serging.
The first armhole, I simply pinned it in four places around the opening and stretched until it fit. The second, I pinned so I had more stretch at the depth of the armhole and less at the shoulder seam and this seemed to work better. I did coverstitch the hemline and around the neckline and arms to give it a decorative element. I won't show you a close-up as I still need some practice on getting this as perfect as I'd like but at least the coverstitch and I are speaking now, me much more appropriately to what I hope becomes a workhorse in my sewing room.
My only regret is that I didn't use elastic at the shoulder seams...I had a tiny bit of puckering there...I think the elastic would have helped with that.
This is a great little pattern! I hope you'll try it. I hope to make the maxi next. And, it looks like a need a slight FBA...I heard a very wise seamstress once say...the item you just made prepares you for the next one. Very wise, right?
Next is a little top that I was hoping to make a dress but cut wrong...I hate it when that happens but I do really like this little top and will wear the heck out of it, probably more so than another dress.
McCall's 7064 is such a fun little pattern! I wasn't sure about the ruching at first but now that I've made it, I LOVE the effect!
It is simply close fitting--as if you can't tell by the photos, and has no buttons/zippers. You can vary the sleeves, go without sleeves, or make it into a fun little drop waist, ruffly dress. It really doesn't take much fabric either--less than two yards for the long sleeved dress.
This went together fast and easy and I think it is darn cute! I put a band at the neckline and made an FBA. This pattern has negative ease and since I didn't want it that fitted, I went up a size. Normally a 14 in patterns is just about perfect for me, but this time I made a scant 16 and am very pleased!
I coverstitched the hems on the top bottom and sleeves and I think I am falling in love with that blasted machine!
I hope to made dress D for fall and that it will accommodate tights and a jacket for winter. I just love multi-purpose clothing!
Thanks for reading!!!