About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My first Moneta!

Here is a review for the Colette Moneta dress.  This pattern was featured on the latest edition of Threads magazine and I just drooled over it!  90% of the appeal was the fabric used to create this simple but classic dress and the other 10% was that is was a dress!  Sorry the picture is a little blurry, but I think you can see what I mean!

Current Issue of Threads magazine

So I used fabric from my stash which was from Fabric Mart and is a Maggie London knit with four-way stretch.  Perhaps it is a little light weight, but for assessing fit and such, it worked fine.  

This is a versatile pattern in that you can use multiple sleeve lengths, neckline variations (there are several to download on the Colette site for FREE!) creating a multitude of possibilities.  

Belt?  No belt?  The choice is yours!  

I did not make an FBA as this was my muslin and it worked out fine--I don't see any pulling, wrinkles, etc.  My fabric is rather lightweight, so perhaps on a mid-weight I may have to make an adjustment.  

This dress is comfortable and I do like the print!  I made the little collar that crosses slightly in the back.  The directions call for interfacing the collar and it is a wise move.  I tried to make the collar without interfacing and it didn't work so hot.  My interfacing is almost always from Fashion Sewing Supply.  I used the lightweight couture and it is the perfect finish for the collar.  

Sorry about the pasty-white skin.  Winter decided to take a hiatus this past week and now that we can bear a little skin without having it freeze off our bodies, mine is in dire need of some sun on it!  Let's just say that winter has been l-o-n-g.  

I plan on making more of these dresses.  This pattern is as well drafted as the Lady Skater by Kitchy Koo.  

Happy Sewing!


  1. I bought this pattern when it first came out, but your version is motivating me to get it out & make it !! Love the color & fit . Great job !

    1. Thanks MaryEllen! I can't wait to see your dress completed!

  2. Love the collar detail on this dress. Very pretty.

  3. What a cute dress. Spring and summer are dress seasons. I am sure you will get a lot of wear from this dress. Are you planning to make another?

    1. Oh yes, I have fabric picked for two more of these! Such a great pattern. I hope you try it Dharma!