About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, October 7, 2013

Jalie Women's City Coat

Hello!  I have to say, I LOVE this jacket.  It isn't really a coat as there is no way it is warm enough for winter (unless you live in Florida or Texas).  It is a perfect layering piece for fall and that is what I intended it for. 
http://product-images.highwire.com/3019510/1290bc49-672f-4a77-aedb-037eca6501c0.jpg

Here is a description from the back of the pattern:

Three-quarter length coat with choice of standing collar or hood.  Button-front, flattering front and back princess seams and on-seam front pockets.  

There are 27 sizes all in one pattern!

Fabric Used:
An absolute wonderful stretch denim I purchased in St Paul, Minnesota @ Treadle Yard Goods.  I had no idea what my plan was for using it but the colors, the drape, the stretch and recovery were so very awesome I had to have it!  I covered my own buttons with scraps of the lime green circles of the denim fabric. 





Directions:
The directions were excellent.  I didn't have to read anything, I just looked at the pictures.  They are that good!  The order of construction was also logical and well thought out.  

Likes/Dislikes:
Love the pattern drafting.  It is just amazing.  It fits so well, has just the right amount of ease and all the notches lined up perfectly.  What else would you expect from Jalie?
Love how the collar is put together.  I feel like it looks very professional.  
Love the on-seam front pockets.  No girth added to the hips!

Dislikes: 
The sleeves are exceptionally long.  I am 5'7" and the sleeves were too long for me.  I thought they looked long when I cut them out and yes, yes they were.  
As the directions are written, there needs to be a way to stitch down the back facing to the jacket itself.  I wore this jacket all weekend and the facing needed adjusted when I put it on and took it off.  I think stitching it down and following the curve of the facing will take care of that.  
Speaking of facings, the on-seam pockets aren't attached to anything.  I incorporated them into the front button holes on one side and they are tacked under the buttons on the other side.  
I need to come up with a solution to the front facings.  They also need firmly attached to the front so they don't flop.  

Modifications:
Shortened the sleeves by almost 2 inches.  When you look at the model's picture, her sleeves look exceptionally long as well.  I shouldn't have been surprised I need to shorten them.  
That's it!  

Recommendations:
I so LOVE this pattern.  It was so fun and easy to put together!  It stitched up beautifully and there wasn't any fiddling with the collar, sleeves, or finish.  
Maybe a beginner could tackle this with okay results, but I believe you need a little sewing experience to execute this well.   

Conclusion:
Everything you expect from Jalie is present in this pattern.  It is awesome!  I can totally see it made in fleece, quilted fabric, stretch wool, to name a few choices.  While the pattern calls for fabric with 201% crosswise stretch, you could most likely get by without it.  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 



3 comments:

  1. Nice flattering design lines on this pattern. I would never have thought that fabric was denim. Very unusual jacket and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just in the process of making this jacket. I am going to be using a Polartec Powershield softshell, in a heavier weight. So it will be warm enough and still be stretchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information... anal butt plugs for men

    ReplyDelete