About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Vogue 8912

Pattern Description:
Misses' top, shorts and pants: Very loose-fitting top has neck and front bands, pockets, slightly shaped front hemline and narrow hem.  A: Uneven hemline (wrong side shows), and purchased bias tape finishes armholes.  B: fold-back cuffs,.  Semi-fitted shorts or tapered pants have elastic waist, side pockets, and stitched hems. 

I made view B with modifications. 

Pattern Sizing:
Two size combinations for this pattern are B5 (8 to 16) and F5 (16 to 24).  I made a 14 and it is indeed very-loose fitting.  I knew it was loose-fitting when I started out and I am okay with the result.  If you want something more fitted, I suggest you go down a size (or two). 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, I believe it does look quite a bit like the drawing, sans the long sleeves. 















Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were really good.  The illustrations show you exactly what to do and that is what I followed.  Since the pattern is labeled as very easy, I didn't read much and actually there isn't much to read with this pattern. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes:
I love the band on the neckline.  If gives the top such a nice and professional finish. 
I even like the loose-fit of the top.  It is loose but it isn't over the top loose, if you know what I mean. 
Dislikes:
My only dislike is minor and I will change it if I make this top again.  Some of the other Vogue patterns have you hem the top and then attach the front band.  I think this gives a nice professional finish.  With this pattern, you attach the band and then hem.  Had I actually read the direction prior to cutting out, I would have corrected the band length to allow me to hem prior to attaching it. 
I almost made this top sleeveless, but given how loose it is, I think you would need to wear a cami or something underneath otherwise the wide armholes will show everything you've got! 

Fabric Used:
I used a piece of fabric from my stash that has been sitting untouched for over a year.  Why did I let this pretty lightweight fabric sit for so long? 
I think it is a cotton blend and I purchased it at JoAnns last summer when they had some glimmers of improving their fabric quality--a bit anyway.  They seemed to have made a U-turn and downgraded again. 
I used sheer elegance from Fashion Sewing Supplies for the interfacing and it worked beautifully. 
The buttonholes were a little tricky as this fabric is a little soft and shifty.  I put some of the tear away stabilizer on the back side of the buttonholes and it was just enough to keep the buttonholes sharp.  The tear away stabilizer's main function in my sewing room is embroidery so it served double duty today! 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment
I chopped off the sleeves to short sleeves rather than using the cuff. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
While this top is flowy, I do love it and think it would look great in a variety of fabric. 
I'm not too thrilled with the mullet-type hem on the sleeveless version but I may give it a whirl and then chop it if I don't like it. 
I really can't imagine using a chiffon type fabric or one that is very slippery or sheer.  I think it would make the neckband ultra tricky. 

Conclusion:
This is a fun, easy, and quick summer top.  It lends itself to a wide variety of fabric choices, colors, and prints.  It took longer for me to put in the button holes than cut out and sew the entire thing.  Enjoy! 

4 comments: