About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, June 20, 2013

McCall's 6467

Pattern Description:
This is an ultra feminine misses' top described on the back of the envelope like this: Semi-fitted, pullover tops have bias neck binding, seam detail, flounce (wrong side shows) variations, button trim and baby narrow hem.  A: Below elbow sleeves gathered at cap and into hold ruffles.  B, C: Cap sleeves gathered to stay.  D: Gathered armhole ruffles.  B, C, D: Shaped hemline. 

Suggested fabrics:
Crepe de Chine, Challis, Washed silk.  I used a piece of fabric I purchased at an antique shop.  It was 36" wide and took almost four yards for view B.  It must have been well cared for as I didn't find any holes, stains, permanent creases, etc.  I don't know the content but it feels and behaved like rayon. 

Sizing:
This pattern is multi-sized and comes in two choices: A5 is 6 to 14 or E5 14 to 22.  I made a modified size 14.  Other reviewers mentioned how roomy it is and they were right!  Read below for modifications. 

Notions needed:
Just four 1/2" ball buttons from my stash.  In fact, everything was already in my stash! 

Did it look like the envelope after completion?
Yes, I believe it does.  The style is super feminine.  I was so drawn to this top. 

Modifications/Alterations made to the design/pattern:
I made my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment on the center back pattern piece. 
I took a larger seam allowance starting at the waistline and continuing to the hem.  Usually I use the 5/8" seam allowance, but with this top, I started with a 3/4" at the waist and kept that to the hemline.  While this may not seem like much, there are 12 separate pieces to this top so that little 1/4" for each seam ended up taking things in 3 whopping inches!  I was going to experiment with more, but it is a flowing top and there are no closures so it has to easily slip on and off over your head. 
This top is really low cut.  I took up the front bodice an inch before attaching it to the back shoulder seam.  It is still low, and depending on where I wear it (i.e., work) I will have to wear a cami underneath or insert some lace. 

Time and monetary investment:
This really whips up pretty quickly.  I am a putzer so it took me about 3 hours or so. If you are quick, you could get it done really fast. 
Honestly, I think I spent about 30 bucks on the fabric, but it was more than a year ago, so I am not sure how accurate that price is. 


Directions--how were they?
The directions were just fine....easy to understand.  All the notches seemed to match up.  I had no concerns at all. 

Do you recommend this? Will you sew it again?
I do recommend this pattern.  Just be wary of how low it is cut and how roomy it is.  It does need to fit over your head and skim the body but there is some room to take it in on the lower half of your body.  Not sure if I will sew a short-sleeve version, but may create the longer sleeves for fall. 

Conclusion:
This is an easy pattern to put together and there are so many pretty summer prints to make a fun top! 


Thanks for reading!
Sue

6 comments:

  1. This has such a nice summery vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so light and fun to wear. I can't believe that you got that at an antique shop and its in perfect shape! It even looks great with those shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and feminine. Love it.

    ReplyDelete