About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, June 10, 2013

Lorax Quilt!

I made this very colorful quilt for my youngest son.  When he was a little boy, I had to read the Lorax to him almost daily.  Have you ever read that book to a child?  It takes a LONG time!  He just loved it when I made different voices for the Lorax.  How easy it is to entertain a young child!  He is an avid reader to this day and will be attending medical school in just a few short months. 

So, Daniel kept asking, "Mom, when are you going to make me a quilt?"  "Soon," was always my reply and then one day, I happened to stop into my favorite local quilt shop and there it was, a stack of fat quarters all with the Lorax fabric!!!  Ta-da!  Here was my chance to create a quilt I knew Daniel would just love and that I would have fun creating!


This book was my inspiration.  It came with the templates needed to create the quilt.  I used one of the tiny rotary cutters and it was a breeze to cut! 

I had previously made this quilt as a Christmas gift for my husband who saw when I begrudgingly drug him into the shop so I could look at upgrading my Bernina.  He pointed it out and said how much he liked it--bingo!  Christmas gift dilemma solved! 
Here is a photo of his quilt:

 
The colors go well in our home. 
Back to Daniel and his Lorax quilt.....
 
After finding the fabric, I started just about immediately on his quilt.  Fast, easy, fun!  The top took only about 6 hours to complete and the fun part is arranging all the finished blocks into the look you want.  After completing that task I worked on the border.  I had some small scraps of the Lorax fabric and since I don't need to add to my stash/scrap bucket, I used those pieces to create piano keys on the edge.  I had not done that before and I love how it turned out!  I didn't have quite enough so I used the black/white stripe on the remainder of the border.  What I wish you could see better is the embroidery I used on the black and white stripes.  Here is what it says, a quote for the Lorax book--well, really Dr. Seuss, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not."  I had a lot of fun playing with the size of the words, the fill of the letters, italicizing (or not), etc. 
 
After all this, I put a minky, Dr. Seuss striped fabric on the back and the batting is wool.  This is one warm quilt!  I was so proud to give it to him and he LOVES it!  Yea for mom! 
 
Thanks for reading.  I really love how easy this quilt pattern is.  Circles?  Bring them on!
 
Thanks for reading!
Sue

 
The proud owner is in the green t-shirt.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment