About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, May 27, 2013

Simplicity 1613

Pattern Description:
Here's what the back of the envelope says: Misses' knit tops.  That's it!  Here's my version: Misses' close-fitting tops in two different styles and three sleeve lengths.  A, B, C has front cross-over detail and D & E have off-shoulder sleeves (That's how I describe it anyway!)
   
Pattern Sizing:
I purchased the envelope with sizes 12 to 20 in one package.  Since this pattern is pretty close fitting and the tops have a lot of shaping on the pattern pieces, I made a size 16 figuring I could take it in much easier than letting it out.  I think it fits just how I would want: not too loose nor too tight.  To give you a comparison, with Vogue I typically sew a size 14 as there is a lot of ease.  I not quite a familiar with Simplicity but after seeing this adorable pattern, I will be checking this pattern company out more! 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, I believe it looks a lot like view D, which is the one I made.  I am so glad there is an actual photo on this pattern envelope! 
  
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Instructions seemed to be great.  I glanced at them and then pulled them back out when I sewed the shoulder band on incorrectly.  After that little mishap, I read that step and realized I really need to quit watching HGTV while I sew.  I get distracted at times.  :)   
   
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes:

Love, love, love the shaping of the top.  There aren't too many t-shirts with waist definition.  This one has quite a bit. 
I really do love the shoulder band.  The way this top is constructed, the seams are on the underside of the band so you don't see anything other than a clean finish on the band. 
The length of the top is great, not too short, not annoyingly long. 
Did I mention the details?  Views A to C are ADORABLE!  I also love D. 
Sleeve length is really great as well.  Not too long or short.   
Dislikes:
I really can't think of anything I didn't like. 

Fabric Used:
I used this super bright floral from gorgeous fabric.  It has been so dreary lately, I decided I needed some color and wow did this work!  If I remember correctly this is a poly knit with some but not too much Lycra.  It sewed beautifully! 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I only made one change to the instructions and that was to use 3/8" elastic rather than 1/4".  I used the elastic guide included in the pattern and decided I would have some major wardrobe malfunctions if I kept the piece that large in the top.  I experimented until I got a comfortable amount around the shoulders: Too tight and every time you move the band pops up to your earlobes.  Too little and you will be hiking this up all the time. 
I also shortened the straps about 1/2" so they didn't fall off my shoulders constantly. 
I made my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment. 
 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
 Oh yes, I can't wait to make the other tops.  The directions look easy to follow and the styling it so stinkin' cute! 
This is a fairly easy pattern.  If you have sewn with knits, you'll do fine with this pattern. 

Conclusion:
I love my new top with these light yellow jeans I found in my closet.  It is super comfortable and stayed put today when I wore it to a barbecue.  DH thinks it is pretty sexy for a 50 year old grandma to be! 

Thanks for reading!



Sue

2 comments: