About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Butterick 5510 for Babies!

<b>Pattern Description: </b>
This is an uber cute baby boy pattern that I made for my Grandson, whom will be born in September.  I simply couldn't resist, could you? 
Here is the description from the back of the envelope: Loose-fitting shirts, A, B have collar, dropped shoulders, stitched hems and above elbow sleeves.  Loose-fitting T-shirt has neck band and short sleeves.  Pants C have stitched detail, front waistband, carriers, back hems and snap inner leg.  Pants D have no ides seams, elastic waist and ankles.  Purchased trim.  Hat has crown and brim. 




<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>
Size combinations are NB to M or L to XL.  I made a medium or about a six month old size (at least I think that's the size.) 

<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b>
Yes, I think mine looks quite a bit like the photo of the very cute little guy on the envelope. 

<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b>
Instructions were great.  The written and visuals made perfect sense. 

<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b>
This pattern is super easy and stylish.  The pants turned out to look like little jeans and that was the look I was going for.  One thing I didn't like was how the neckline was finished.  I did my own thing and serged the edge rather than turning under and slip stitched.  It just seemed like the collar wouldn't lay very well and also, I was feeling a tad bit lazy.  I am not sure if it was due to a pattern drafting error or an error on my part, but I had to make tiny tucks on the front pant leg so the waistband would fit.  I need to sew this again and not watch Grey's Anatomy so I can determine whether it is operator error or not. 

<b>Fabric Used:</b>
100% cotton for both the shirt and jeans.  The denim was a remnant from a previous project and the Star Wars fabric I purchased because my son-in-law and daddy-to-be is a huge Star Wars fan. 

<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b>
Other than the neckline finish I added some embroidery to the back pocket.  I couldn't resist putting 'Jedi in training'.  It's cute, at least I think!  I also didn't want to add the snap tape to the legs as I haven't found one that feels like it will hold up to multiple washings.  If anyone has some ideas on sources, please let me know as I see a lot of baby garments in my future. 

<b>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>
Yes, I will be sewing this cute little pattern many times and I highly recommend it to others.  It's cute, easy, and I just giggled the entire time I was making it.  What fun! 

<b>Conclusion: </b>
I decided to submit this into the natural fibers contest.  Enjoy making this pattern for the little man in your life. 
Thanks for reading!
Sue
Can't wait until I have a live model to wear the creations I make for him!

1 comment: