About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Bibs for me! Simplicity 8641

I have been checking out all these cute bibs everyone is making and finally decided to give the skirted version a try.  Here's the pattern I used: 

Image result for images Simplicity 8641

How cute is this?  I was worried that (A): I am too old to pull this off and (B): How much will I have to adjust this in the bust area to get it to fit?  





I made a ton of flat pattern measurements using Designer Joi's methods that I learned about last summer.  During the fitting process, I realized that as long as the bib portion sat where it needed to, this would fit fine.  I even made sure I had enough fabric to cut another bib section, if needed.
  

This is an easy to put together and well drafted pattern.  I made view A and found the length to be perfect!!!  Straps were easy to sew--although a note on those!  I did widen them on the portion that attaches to the bib.  They got super skinny and I found that difficult to turn.  For me it was easier to widen the strap and adjust the area on the bib where they attach.  



I really love this fabric I used.  It is a twill weave suiting from Fabric Mart.  It drapes beautifully, is so comfortable and easy to work with.  There's a bit of stretch on the cross grain so of course it doesn't bind at all when wearing.  



I did decide to line the pockets with a fun dinosaur print from my stash.  Why not?  


I recommend this pattern and now that I feel like I can pull it off, I am going to create the pants version that everyone is rocking these days!


Thanks for reading!  I love hearing your comments about what you are sewing!
Sue 

9 comments:

  1. This is so cute on you! Great fabric for the project, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am wondering about that age thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I asked my daughters (ages 33 & 31) who both told me to wear what I wanted! They even sent me photos of ladies about my age rocking garments I've mentioned I wanted to make! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm getting ready to embark on the same pattern! : ) Thank you for the tips, especially widening that strap. I'll have to measure, maybe I won't have to add on the length either.

    Great job, a super cute bib jumper!

    I've been following you for a bit, and thought I'd finally comment when I saw a fellow lover of bib cuteness!

    Blessings! ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ameila! I appreciate everyone who takes time to glance at my blog! Blessing to you as well! Happy sewing!
      Sue

      Delete
  4. Agree that we should not follow the "rules" and instead go with what makes us happy! This dress is PERFECT on you and the suiting really elevates it. I had given up on this one for this season, figuring I'd have to just wait until next summer but maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I too am thinking of another pair of bibs (this time pants) in a dark denim! I hope to finish them before winter is over--we will see!

      Delete
  5. I am getting ready to make this. How did you feel about the sizing? Any hints? I am actually making view B out of dark denim like on the pattern. It measures at quite a bit more ease.

    ReplyDelete