About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, November 19, 2017

A cobalt blue dress

A fresh approach to the drape trend of recent times, this is a cleverly drafted pattern which creates a cross body drape with an inner shell to hold the bodice in place. Use a fluid knit fabric to achieve the best result. Make it with a sleeve or sleeveless.
Kellie Jersey Dress / Top Sewing Pattern By Style Arc - A new twist on the drape dress/top

I love this color and i love the shape of this dress.  It's creative, it is fitted, and damn, it's cute!!!  Right?  Having said that, when I wore it today, I was a bit self conscious.  I sort of felt like a sausage stuffed in a too tight casing but when I look at the pictures, it doesn't appear to be too tight.  I think it is my shape-ware that makes it feel too tight. 


Did I tell you this is the Kellie Jersey Dress by StyleArc?  Sorry this photo is a bit blurry.


That front cross-over detail is not that difficult to do, but you simply can't over think it.  


If you follow the arrows and mark the notches with the correct letter, matching A's and B's, etc., is pretty easy.  


Normally I try to eliminate the center back seam but this one offers some subtle shaping that has some positive effects, even for a middle-aged grandma like me!


Look at that!  Hardly any pooling at the center back!


I am so glad I have super power spanks!


I really love this color too!  It seems dressy but at the same time an everyday dress.


That neckline is awesome!  It isn't constricting but isn't too low.  Perfect in my estimation!


I only made a swayback adjustment along with sloping shoulders.  I knew my knit had enough give to cover up any sort of FBA that might be necessary.


I really love this dress.  That front detail is super fun to make and I really like how it looks.


Here is a bit closer look.  That line on the right boob, that must be the facing riding up a bit.  I should have checked that prior to taking pictures.  



And I thought you might like a detail of side.  It lies very flat and nice.  Sorry my hand is in the way!

I really like this dress. 
Thanks for reading!
Sue

3 comments:

  1. The colour is beautiful! Brilliant blue for this time of year especially when here on the west coast we rarely get to see it :) Nice shaping on this dress. I laughed reading, "You can't overthink it" because I often find with StyleArc it's a curiously intuitive process. Suddenly you just "get it" and it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really cleverly designed pattern. What a great dress it up, dress it down kind of dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress is lovely, my fav colour too. Great combination of pattern and fabric, well sewn.

    ReplyDelete