About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, November 29, 2015

And...I liked it so much I made another!

So....if you saw my sewing room, you'd wonder how I get anything done or know where anything is lately...it's not good, but it isn't beyond repair yet!  Since things are a little untidy, I still had out the StyleArc Mara pattern and decided to give it another go.  I mean, I love this pattern, so why not?

The classic shirt dress featuring a fly front, pleat pockets and two piece sleeve
As others who've made up this pattern have noted, this pattern doesn't include the tabs and rolled sleeves, although it would be easy to add those elements either by drafting the tab yourself or using another pattern as a template.  Never mind this goofy look on my face below, I think I was about to tell DH to make sure to hold the camera steady or some other really useful information like that.


This fabric--isn't it gorgeous?  It is a designer cotton brocade from Ralph Lauren I purchased from FabricMart.   The colors, texture, and weight of it is just wonderful!  I thoroughly enjoyed working with it and think it made they perfect weight for a winter time dress.


The first time I made the dress, I used a much lighter weight cotton which worked beautifully.  This time with the heavier cotton, I added about 1/2" to the center back seam from about an inch below the neckline to the waist.  The dress isn't uncomfortable at all or pull or anything like that but I thought it might be a tad snug and slightly restricting movement if I didn't make a slight alteration.  It worked great!


The only other design alterations I made were to leave off the flaps on the patch pockets and also to add the side seam pockets.  I typically don't sew in side seam pockets simply because I don't like adding any girth to my hips.  ;)


I cut this dress out on the cross grain to take advantage of the beautiful border print and can you blame me?  It would have been a shame to not use that as a design element.


I really love this pattern, can you tell?  I'll put it away for now, maybe!


Thanks for reading!
Sue

11 comments:

  1. I like this - very much! Nice style, nice fabric, good fit. The photo of you wearing it is more appealing to me than the envelope drawing. Good tip about slightly lengthening for the thicker fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this - very much! Nice style, nice fabric, good fit. The photo of you wearing it is more appealing to me than the envelope drawing. Good tip about slightly lengthening for the thicker fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the border print Sue. You are being very productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean and thank you! I try to be productive...I don't sit very well, something that I wonder if I should work on?

      Delete
  4. It's really fantastic Sue! Your stitching, the fit and that print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic. I am so jealous- I love that fabric, but somehow missed it! Beautiful dress, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ann! I am glad I snatched some of this fabric up as it didn't last long!

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely dress--you really made great use of that amazing border print!! And as usual, it looks so beautifully made and well-fitted. =)
    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete