About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

McCall's 6747--Wishing for Spring!

I've had this pattern since last summer and then ran out of time to put it together.  One of my New Year's Resolutions was to use more fabrics from my stash.  I'm not doing so well overall with that, but if I start with a list of fabrics I must use before spring/summer then mark this one off the list and continue my resolution as least started.  :)  

There are some super cute versions of this easy-wearing dress.  Here's mine.  Let me know what you think.  

Pattern Description: 
Misses' top and dresses: Pullover, close-fitting top and dresses have button neck and front bands and stitched hems.  A: Narrow hem on sleeves.  C: Button flaps.  A, C: Pockets.  B, C, D: Fitted through hips. C, D: Back hemline slit.

I made the length of view B, with the sleeves of D and one pocket with a rounded shape.  
I made a size medium that I completed a cheater FBA by adding 1/2 inch to the side seam at the bust line.  

Fabric used: This is a poly-lycra blend I purchased from Marcy Tilton.  It was a breeze to work with, washed beautifully, and had minimal rolling at the cut edge.  

I believe my finished dress looks like the pattern envelope.
Directions--actually they missed a few steps that make a much nicer finished garment that a few reviewers have already mentioned.  Here's what I thought about them--and yes, I did read and try to follow them.  It has been a very long time since I'd made a placket like this and I wanted to make sure I got it right.

Reinforcing the inner corners of the front by pivoting at the small circles is essential and you have to mark carefully or you'll end up with a weird looking and weirdly placed placket.  I did interface the front bands as directed with Fashion Sewing Supplies interfacing--best stuff on the planet.  I'm sorry, I don't know exactly which product I used as I have quite a few pieces of it.

Next, I slashed the front opening with my rotary cutter and a ruler, stopping about 3/8" from the lower edge.
I cut from the line to the corners by cutting on the diagonal.  Sewing the bands onto the front openings was very easy with this super straight line.  I also followed the directions to finish off the lower band of the placket by slipping the triangle piece along with the bands to the inside.  I neatened up the edge with my serger and then sewed the X onto the bottom to reinforce the area.  For not having made a placket in a long time, I am happy with how it turned out.

I stitched only one pocket on and rounded the lower edges using my SA curve.  I typically don't make curved seams on knits, but I'll have to do it more often.  The right tools make such a big difference.

Next you stitch the center back seam and I was going to try and match the polka-dots, but talked myself out of it.  I have to say, the shaping on the center back seam is really nice.  While the dress looks boxier, it could be much worse!

Per my usual construction methods, I reinforced the shoulder seam with 1/2" clear elastic serged into the seam.  I think it's the only way to roll.

Stitching on the neckband was pretty easy.  There is no interfacing in the neckband, so if you want to put button holes in the knit, make sure you stabilize it with interfacing.

Here's something else I did that I don't typically do.  I followed the directions for setting in the sleeves.  It's a knit garment, so I ask why?  It did work and it was effortless.  I didn't need any ease stitching at all, so it was sort of like laying the sleeves in flat--in an abstract sort of way.

I used my cover-stitch machine on the sleeves and the lower hemline. I feel like I am still learning how to use it with good results.

Instead of buttons, I used snaps.  I used fairly small snaps as it was the size that looked best when I experimented with which size to use.

I made my usual 1/2" sway back adjustment by wedging out the maximum at the center and tapering to nothing at the side seams.

All in all, this is a fairly good pattern if you've had experience in making a placket and sewing with knits. While the directions aren't stellar, they work.

I'm happy with my new dress.  My photographer wasn't home, so you'll have to do with the dress hanging out with Grace.  It hits me about mid-knee.  If DH doesn't like it, I might use this dress as pjs.

Thanks so much for reading!


  1. I love it! I'm gonna have to treat myself to some fabri from Tilton. Always so nice :)

    1. Thanks Nakisha! I've never been disappointed with Tilton's fabrics!

  2. I think this is a very fun thing- I love a little tunicy specialness!

  3. Dress is so pretty.Love the polka dots.. Happy sewing.