<b>Pattern Description: </b>
|Fitted, lined top or dress has collar and princess seam. Semi-fitted, tapered pants have contour waist. A, B and C: back zipper. Custom Fit for A, B, C, D cup sizes.|
|FABRICS: Crepe, Silk Tweed and Double Knit.|
<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>B5(8-10-12-14-16), F5(16-18-20-22-24)
I made a 14 to accomodate the girls. :)
<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b> Yes, I think so. I however made a few changes that I will highlight below.
<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b>
Super easy! I glanced at them and then put them away. No issues whatsoever. The notches all line up well, so it seems very well drafted.
<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b>
I really like the 'mod' styling and the retro feel the collar has. I think it is very fun! The sizing seemed to me to be a little snugger than some patterns are (yes, I know that it is fitted, but this patterns seems to be a little snugger than others).
No dislikes at all. The length of the top is great, the 3/4 sleeves are awesome. The lining fits nicely. It is just fun!
I found this cat print at Vogue fabrics. It is a lightweight twill. There is no stretch whatsoever, but that is okay. It is just light enough to give this pattern the body it needs, especially in the collar. I also used the only interfacing I will purchase from now on: Fashionsewingsupply.com. Wonderful stuff, so much better than anything you purchase at a 'regular' fabric store.
<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b>
Here is where I had some fun with this!
1. I added the 3/4 sleeves from the dress to the top.
2. 1/2" swayback adjustment
3. I attached the collar before I set in the sleeves and sewed the side seam. I thought it was easier to have a flatter surface to work with. The directions have you set the sleeves first and then attach it. I waited for the sleeves and lining until after I got the collar on.
4. Added an exposed zipper to the back instead of a regular or invisible zipper. I haven't tried this before and thought it was a fun touch!
5. Edge stitched the undercollar so it didn't roll to the right side
6. Only lined the bodice and not the sleeves. I try to minimize hot flashes in any way possible and a little less fabric in the sleeves hopefully will help! I used my serger to finish off the fabric and lining, attaching them together at the armhole seam.
7. Topstitched the hem on the sleeves and lower hem. I mean, the fabric is twill, so what the heck, right?
8. Added a second row of topstitching to the lower hem to include the lining fabric. I just didn't feel like hemming the lining and attaching it with a thread chain. I could have, I just didn't want to. :)
9. I waited to add the lining until after I inserted the collar, so I slipstitched it to the seam of the exposed zipper. This allowed me to turn under the hem of the lining and attach it to the hem of the top. It worked really slick. I don't mind a little hand sewing. I find it somewhat relaxing.
10. I tried to omit the three hook and eyes on the back collar, but felt they were needed in order to get the back of the collar to lay right.
<b>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>
Yes, I plan on sewing this again with the cute little sleeves for later in the spring or summer. I am thinking the lining is optional depending on your fabric choice. I decided to try it out and I do like it. However, with the super short sleeves and summer approaching (hopefully) a lining would increase my overall body temp, not something I am in favor of!
I really want to try the dress and pants as well!
<b>Conclusion: </b I really love the collar on this top! I highly recommend that you take your time pinning the collar to the neckline before rolling the seam-allowance and hand sewing it to the top (this is the final step of the collar before you move on to other parts of the construction). It needs to lay just so--it is the roll of the collar that makes the look so to speak.
Thanks for reading!