About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, December 9, 2018

Finally jumping on the Kimono train

Happy December everyone! 
I wanted to share my latest post from Fabric Mart--I finally made a Kimono.  Everyone around me has been wearing super cute ones so I finally decided to create one. 


I just LOVE This fabric!  It is a poly woven and those colors are so vibrant!  This fabric came from Fabric Mart.  It is from a famous dress designer.  


Here is the pattern I used: 

McCall's 7200 (image from Sewing Pattern Review).  As you can see, mine is longer with longer sleeves.  There are some variations with the pattern.  


I chose to keep this super simple to really show off that fabric.  I can't tell you how much prettier this is in person.  


For fitting, I know this is a loose-fitting garment, but it still needs to fit in all the right places.  I lengthened from the shoulder to the apex and lengthened the bust curve.  


On the back of the garment, I added 1" total between the shoulder blades at the intersection of the neck and the shoulder.  I also added an inch at shoulder blade level.  


For the length of this Kimono, I added 6 inches.  


I decided to hand sew the facings in place along with the hems.  Hand sewing can be so very relaxing.


That's it!  A fast and easy make but make sure you fit it to you so you look fabulous!

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

2 comments:

  1. Super cute Sue!
    I have a kimono planned for my spring sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I am going to make one for spring as well!

      Delete