About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

More StyleArc love....

Why do I wait so long to post my makes?  I've had this tabard and pants made for probably two weeks but just haven't had time to post about it.  Better late than never, right?
This designer tabard is a great versatile piece that can be worn over a pant, as well as the Cleo dress

So first up is the Tania Tabard.  What is a Tabard you ask?  Well, I had no idea so I turned to Wikipedia for an answer and here was mine:
tabard is a short coat common for men during the Middle Ages. Generally used while outdoors, the coat was either sleeveless or had short sleeves or shoulder pieces. In its more developed form it was open at the sides; and it could be worn with or without a belt. Though most were ordinary garments, often workclothes, tabards might be emblazoned on the front and back with a coat of arms (livery), and in this form they survive now as the distinctive garment of officers of arms.

                                    
And a more modern interpretation, also from Wikipedia: In modern British usage, the term has been revived for what is known in American English as a cobbler apron: a lightweight open-sided upper overgarment, of similar design to its medieval and heraldic counterpart, worn in particular by workers in the catering, cleaning and healthcare industries as protective clothing, or outdoors by those requiring high-visibility clothing.
Ok.....Now the easy part of the review: the Beth Stretch Woven Pant: 
Pull on woven stretch pant with wide waistband and the perfect leg shape
From the StyleArc site: this is an updated version of the Barb Stretch pant with slimming design lines.  This is my second make from this pattern.  My first was a stretch bengaline I purchased from StyleArc.  This time I made them in a heavy ponte.

Here is my completed outfit.  I left off the front twisted overlay.  While I left it off, it truly was one of the things that drew me to the pattern in the first place.  Why did I leave it off?  I did because it didn't work for this fabric.  This linen blend was far too stiff  to lay properly and drape as it should.
 


Under the overlay there is a tuck but I decided I didn't need that either.  Ignore my partially closed eyes.  DH caught me mid-blink.  


I like how this tabard fits: not tight, but not loose either and those side-slits are awesome.  Can we talk about side bra coverage?  Nothing shows at all.  Yippee!  


I also like how the shoulders, back, waist, and hips fit on this.  It is slightly different from the line drawings, mine isn't cut in so far at the shoulders but I like how this looks.  

 

And, here's the pants.  Sorry to start you with a booty-shot.  I love the wide waistband.


 Even with my borderline flat rear, these aren't very baggy on the back upper thighs.


And I do like the design lines on this pant.  They do give it some style and talk about comfort!  These are amazing!  


I purposely made this ankle length so they would be sandal appropriate.  I made zero alterations to the pants.  That is just how awesome this pattern is.

I love my new outfit and can't wait to wear it.

I appreciate you reading my posts and love to hear your comments!
Sue

17 comments:

  1. Sue, I truly love this top and pants combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit is very stylish! Thanks for all the info on the adjustments you made and why you made them. I am a Style Arc fan and have had success with several patterns. They generally fit quite nicely. I think I need to try this outfit: pants and tabard . May I ask how you found the sizing? I find the patterns run small but maybe that's because other pattern brands run big!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran, thanks for the kind words! As for the sizing, I think it runs pretty true to the finished measurements. I do agree that the amount of ease in the big 4 is rather ridiculous! There isn't nearly as much ease in SA's patterns. I hope this helps! I wear a 14 in the Big 4 and a 12 in SA.

      Delete
  3. What a stylish look -- very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, love your outfit - it looks lovely on you. I have the top pattern and hadn't thought of a linen blend. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AC! I hope you'll try this pattern, it's fun!

      Delete
  5. Sue, love your outfit - it looks lovely on you. I have the top pattern and hadn't thought of a linen blend. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big commenter, but when I do it's to you. For both selfish and unselfish reasons, here it goes. This outfit and your last 3 dresses look GREAT on you. Seriously, great. Now I must get to work and copy them. I'm the one who's the same age and has the same body type as you. For me, it's really difficult to look at myself in things that I wear and focus on the right stuff, if that make sense. When I see them on you, I know it's the right choice for me. I cannot hardly believe how much you get done and the beautiful work you do. you make me wish, over and over, that we were neighbors. Thanks again! Hopefully, my gratitude (along with many others) makes the extra work of blogging worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise, you just made my day! Thank you so very much! You know, I am surprised that anyone reads my blog at all and I do it mostly for me as a personal sort of library so when others comment positively, it gives me warm fuzzies! I have often longed for a sewing neighbor...we'd have a blast!

      Delete
  7. Both of these are really stylish & you've done a great job. I haven't tried a style arc pattern yet , but plan to. A question - the Barb pants say stretch woven but you used knits both times ?
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ellen, oh try SA patterns! They are just awesome! For the Barb pant, the first time I made them I used a stretch bengaline that was woven. I ordered the kit from SA that had the pattern and fabric included. As I worked with the fabric, I knew, or at least thought I could successfully pull off a stable knit pant and used this heavyweight ponte from my stash. I don't think a lightweight knit or very stretchy one would work well so choose wisely! I hope this helps!

      Delete
  8. I have this tabard pattern too Sue, received as a freebie. Love how yours turned out. I must make this next season. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first saw this pattern combo from StyleArc, I was un-impressed. But seeing it made up-- WOW! What a great look! And those pants! I haven't tried making pants in quite some time, but those look pretty awesome. That tunic sounds divine for summer in that linen. You definitely put together a winning ensemble.

    ReplyDelete