About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Jalie 3245










 

Here's my review for Jalie 3245.  I love the raglan sleeves!  Also, this pattern is pretty versatile, but more on that later.


Here is the description:
A: Raglan top with curved hem, half sleeve and binded neckline.  B: raglan tunic with curved hem, half sleeve, patch pockets, and binded neckline.  C: racerback top with curved hem, binded neckline and armhole.  D: racerback tunic with curved hem, patch pockets binded neckline and armhole. 
This pattern comes in sizes from 12 months to size 22 womens.  I made an 11 or X based on my full-bust measurement.

I made view B, but with my busy print, you can't really see the patch pockets all that well.

Fabric used: this very bright and perky knit with lycra.  It was from my stash and it has some orange in it.  I don't remember where I purchased it, but since today was the most spring like day we've had thus far, I had to pull it out and use it!

 
What I like/dislike:
Since when did Jalie start putting multicolored lines on the pattern so you can easily select and cut out your size?  Winner, winner, chicken dinner!  Love this feature.  I mean I loved Jalie for knits before, but now my love has grown tremendously!


This is a very simple garment to sew.  The notches and such all line up.  This pattern has 1/4" seam allowance, so pay attention as you sew or you'll end up with a much smaller garment that you had intended.
I like the little patch pockets, they make the top slightly dresser than if they didn't have them.
I like the versatility of this pattern.  It would like very cute in a variety of fabrics.
I like the shaped hemline.  It adds a little something.





Directions:

I didn't read them.  I looked over the visuals and they were more than adequate.  If you've made a raglan sleeved top before, you'll do just fine.  Jalie's directions are notoriously succinct, so don't expect a lot of unnecessary verbiage if you do decide to read the instructions. 

Modifications:
I made my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment.
My neckline binding is slightly narrower due to being distracted while I was applying it.
The tunic is also about 5/8" shorter due again to my ADD kicking in while I was cutting it out.  It is plenty long enough for a tunic, but I prefer them about an inch longer than this one is, just to make sure all is covered.

Recommendations: I will be using this pattern quite a bit.  It is a classic and with the variety of fabrics you can use and make it sleeveless or not, this is an instant favorite for me!
Jalie just doesn't disappoint!

Thanks for reading!
Sue  

2 comments:

  1. This is really cute; especially the pockets and the print. Must get me some Jalie patterns!

    ReplyDelete