About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

The Grace Transeasonal Coat

Image result for images style arc grace

I've finally made the Grace Trans-Seasonal Coat for the winter.  This is a StyleArc pattern, and you all know, I am a big fan! Here's a description: 

This is an easy-to sew, unlined coat with a fabulous collar--wear it up hugging the neck or open to give a more casual look.  Great deep buttoned pockets that are able to carry all that you need. Interesting seam treatment along with bound edges gives this coat a unique look.  
The Grace coat is a fashionable over coat and will become one of your favorites.  

I made this with a wool melton I ordered from Fabricdotcom.  I just love the color and the feel of this wool.  It doesn't ravel at all.  


I decided to add a lining to this coat to make it a bit warmer and I just love adding fun linings to my coat.  Why be boring when you can be bold?  Since the pattern didn't come with lining or instructions to line this, I drafted my own.  It isn't hard and there are so many tutorials online, you can find one that's easy to do.


The lining is a rayon by Telio found at fabricdotcom.  Again, I am a huge Telio fan and wow is this fabric not only pretty but I love how the color compliments the olive wool.


And, since I added the lining, I decided to add another touch and that was to the piping between the facing and lining.  I made my own (naturally) and love the custom touch! 


The buttons, which I really like, are from Hobby Lobby.  Right now, that's the only place in Sioux Falls I can get buttons for garments.  I've really got to stock up on things like buttons, zips, etc.  You never know when you'll need something and no one locally carries it. 


Would you look at my welt pockets?  I decided to add that little 'lip' at the top edge to give this a bit more oomph.  I love it!



You can't see it, but I also idd double rows of topstitching on the major seams.  


This coat is very oversized.  Based on the modifications I made, this is a size down from my typical SA pattern use.  I think it's pleasantly oversized but not so much so.


Can I have you check out how deep those pockets are?  My entire hand, up to the wrist, fits well inside.  


Plus, that collar!  You can flip it up and I added the buttons at the neckline.  If HL had two more of the buttons, I would have added them to the flaps on the welt pockets.  Dang.  I'll have to see if I can get more online. 

Thanks so much for reading!  I got my new coat completed just in time for the snow!

Sue :) 





4 comments:

  1. Sue I don’t comment often but wanted to let you know I really enjoy your posts and always read them. Thank you for taking the time to share your makes. Sewing is an isolated hobby and I feel like I am visiting a friend when reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely coat, interesting that it is so oversized. I hit that with the Icy knit top recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely thing to say! I appreciate you reading my blog. When I started this, it was merely to document my sewing. I never imagined anyone (other than my mother) would ever read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this coat! It looks great on you and your addition of lining and piping are very nice touches. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete