About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Pattern hacking--Simplicity 8375

Do you hack?  I do sometimes, but when I saw this Simplicity 8375 for $1, I knew I'd hack it to bits. 

Simplicity Pattern 8375 Misses' Knit Dress or Top with Multiple Pattern Pieces for Design Hacking


I was especially intrigued by the lace up back.  Now this wouldn't be hard to do without the pattern, but for a dollar, I purchased it so all the thinking was done for me.  Cop out, right?   




I really wanted to make a tunic or dress but I didn't have enough of this mustard yellow textured knit.  I did have enough to make a long-sleeved top with the lace up back.  



I can see this pattern getting a lot of love, especially from me.  When I compared my measurements to the flat pattern, I made very few alterations to the pattern tissue.  Here they are, and BTW, these are usual for me.  



1.  Lengthen from the shoulder seam to the apex.  
2.  Lengthen the bust curve
3.  That's it, however since I did modify the front of the pattern piece, I also had to lengthen the back but I added the length below the waistline since the measurement from my nape to waistline was spot on.  


The instructions for this appear to be well written, logical, and well illustrated.  If you don't have a serger, the directions are so thorough for use of your regular machine, you'll be fine using that.   You can also see the topstitching I use on typically use on the hems and bands to stitch in place.  It reminds me a lot of the underside of a coverstitch machine.  It's my go-to finish.    




Above you can see how the lace/ties are attached on the inside.  I followed the directions for this and use simple plastic rings typically used in making draperies.  I sewed them on by hand.  As you can see, I try to use matching serger thread when it's available.  


I really like this top.  This may not be the best color for me, but whatever.  I like it.  I paired this with my most recent pair of Georgie pants by Style Arc. 
I won't review these again but will tell you that my fabric is super stretchy and a telio stretch woven. I purchased both fabrics from fabric.com.  


Thanks for reading!  I hope you are sewing some fun things!
Sue 

4 comments:

  1. I like the top very much. I think it’s the right kind of pop to brighten up a dull winter day. Your top stitching is pretty marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Barbara! I pride myself on nice top stitching! It isn’t always perfect, but I try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit! Both pieces fit well and flatter. Love that curly hair on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top & great way to use what you had in yardage ! Love the pants also - great fit

    ReplyDelete