About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A New Winter Coat, Butterick 5685

Hi all,
I made a new coat because where I live, it's cold and can be cold for a long time--like 5 or so months.  Ridiculous, right?  So, to make it less brutal, I make winter coats so I have choices when I put on a coat to brave the cold.  


I finally used the beautiful wool/cashmere blend from Mood that I purchased about 2 years ago. 


I was pretty adamant I needed to use a somewhat classic design so this coat is 'in style' for years to come.


When I fit this to me, I intentionally made the shoulders just a bit wider in the back to accommodate being able to bend, lift, carry, twist, and drive a car if needed.  


I've had this pattern forever.  Here it is for you to see: 

Image result for images Butterick 5685

I'd say mine fits just like the line drawing shows.


I knew I wanted to use a fun lining and this fabric is from Fabric.com.  It's a Telio brand rayon and it is just as luscious as the wool/cashmere!
Why make a coat with a boring lining?  Am I right? 

Buttons are from my stash.  

Thanks for reading!
I hope you are enjoying the weather where ever you live.  If you have a favorite cold weather coat pattern, would you please share?  I am always looking for coat patterns that are unique, classic, or just fun.

Sue 

1 comment: