About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, June 6, 2019

More from Simplicity 8375--ripe for hacking!

One of my goals is to purchase block (basic) that I can adapt or design to whatever I want.  How realistic is this?  Not very but a girl can dream, right?  Here's my base pattern that I am talking about using as a block: 



How sweet is this?  Plus I really like that it's a bit more boxy than my beloved McCall's 8668.  

I recently made two tops from this.  Both are entirely different and equally fun and so suitable for summer!  Here's top 1: 


I found the inspiration for this top as a RTW online.  I didn't exactly copy it, but the styling is there.  


I hope to be able to take some photos of me wearing this soon!  Both fabrics were from my stash.  Up until recently (couple of years), I shied away from wearing yellow.  With the absolute awful weather we had this past winter, anything bright and cheery is so welcomed!

You can probably tell what I did by looking, but with the lace, I simply overlaid it with the lace, cut, and then added the ruffle.  I did roll hem the ruffle since that is what the inspiration photo had.


For this one, I obviously made sleeveless and then chose the scooped back.  Across the back, you'll see what I did.


I love tunics like this for summer.  So cool and comfortable to wear.  This fabric came from JoAnns.  I love the mustard-y yellow with the white and black.  


I just put a single strip across the back.  The neckline wasn't drooping and the shoulders were staying put.  I just wanted a little something there.  

So there you have it.  Two yellow tops from the same pattern that look totally different! 

Thanks for reading!
Sue

5 comments:

  1. I love your 'hacked' versions! I was out snoop-shopping RTW today to make a couple nice summer tops.

    I love yellow in summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cheery yellow color of these tops. The lace yoke top with the ruffle is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have guessed they're the same pattern - you're certainly getting your money's worth! Though they are both happy and summer-ific, so maybe I see the connection! :)

    ReplyDelete