About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Simplicity 8014 in denim

  


Hello and Happy Mother's Day Weekend!

I wanted to share with all of  you my latest creation that I am in love with!  This is Simplicity 8014 and I used a black denim with a bit of stretch.  Here's the pattern:
Image result for Images Simplicity 8014

How cute and classic is this dress?  


Using white as my topstitching is a bold choice, I know.  However if you are patient and keep your seam ripper handy, it's not too bad.  For my topstitching thread, I pulled out machine quilting cotton.  It's a bit heavier than a typical poly thread and when I tested it out, it seemed to stand up on the fabric a bit.



I have been working on sleeve placement and how it fits my particular shoulder shape and am happy with the results.


That cute gathered back into the yoke is always a favorite of mine when creating a garment.  The pattern only called for one layer of yoke, but I used two as it creates a much nicer finish on the inside.

Also, sometimes with denim you get that annoying fold line on the fabric.  I tried to work around it but wasn't able to cut without seeing it.  Over time, when the dress fades, it will become less noticable.


The details of this dress ar a lot of fun.  There's a shaped lower hem, collar and stand, button front, and side seam pockets.  


To go with my white topstitching, I used white square buttons from my stash.  I like the look on my dress.  


Here's the dress sans belt.  Without the belt it skims over your body.  I like that!


Here you can see the gathers and yoke.  


Here's a better picture of the lower hem.  I love the shape.

Thanks for reading!
Happy Mother's day to all of you moms!
Sue

3 comments:

  1. Cute dress. I think it looks better without the belt but either way is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this pattern just sitting there, I really ought to dig it out, yours is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool dress! It looks like it would work for day or night.

    ReplyDelete