About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Fall sewing with McCall's 7381

It took me a while to jump on the maxi bandwagon, but now that I'm there, I simply don't want to jump off.  Maxis are so comfortable!  While I usually make knit ones, this time I made one in this amazing peachskin fabric from Fabric Mart.  This fabric was from a famous dress designer and it sold out quickly!  I love the colors. 


See what I mean?  These colors are so lovely for cooler months!  
Actually, these colors are lovely all the time.


Here is the pattern I used: Image result for Images McCalls 7381
This pattern is designed as a pullover dress that's loose-fitting, with a lined bodice, shoulder pleats, raised front waist, front pleating, and elasticized back waist narrow hem and front snap closing.  There are length and sleeve variations.  


As you can see, I made the maxi version with the sleeves of C, and left off the front tie.  


I still need to polish the fit on this.  I did make a muslin and I have those movement lines on the side bodice that I couldn't get rid of.


I added buttons to the center front wrap portion and actually, this has enough ease that you don't need to snaps at all.  


This dress is LONG!  For reference, I am 5'7" and I took this up 2 inches instead of the recommended 5/8".  I plan on wearing heels with this.  


Another modification I made was to eliminate the bodice lining.  I created 2" wide bias bands, attached them, and then folded to the inside and topstitched down.


I plan on wearing this a lot!  Thanks for reading!
Sue

1 comment: