About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Yet another version of McCall's 6886

Have you seen enough of this pattern yet?  
Image result for images McCalls 6886

Please say no, as I feel like I am just getting started!  It's such a blank canvas to let your imagination run wild! 


This is such a simple, simple design that is really well drafted.  Every version I've seen looks great!  This is also a great pattern to hack to your heart's content, which is what I am going to experiment with in the future.  

Here's what I did with it this time.  

I am sort of obsessed with Alabama Chanin's embellishing lately land this time, I wanted to add some 'stripes' to my fabric.  When I talked to DH about this, he was skeptical and thought the dress would look like something made in a weekend craft shop.  Tsk, tsk! I hoped he was wrong, but wondered the same thing.  Since both pieces of the fabric I was planning on using were left overs from other projects, I decided to give it a whirl anyway!

Here is what I came up with: 


What do you think?  

Of course you can see I hacked the pattern to color block it.  


Of course you can see where I added the hand embroidery to the strips of fabric to make my 'stripes'.  


I used Chanin's embroidery book,The Geometry of Hand Sewing.    It has very clear illustrations and a helpful plastic template to assist you in marking where your stitches will go in order to create symmetrical designs.  




For my embroidery, I knew I wanted a contrast color and I love this mustard-yellow with the gray and white.  This is just plain ol' embroidery floss from Hobby Lobby.  I separated it into three strands and just went to town!  

For the hacking part, I cut the bodice and skirt separately and sewed them together.  I pinned the lower and upper half together and manipulated the length of each until I was happy.  

I am really in love with this dress!  When I showed it to DH, he was so very pleasantly surprised that he simply stopped what he was doing, smiled his little half-smile and said, "Wow!"  Isn't that one of the best compliments of all???

Thanks for reading!  What is inspiring you lately?  Do tell!

Sue 

10 comments:

  1. Another fabulous piece!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress, beautiful details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love this! Great hack with wonderful detail work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Alabama Chanin's The Geometry of Hand Sewing book but I never thought to use those templates to make up some stripes on a knit garment...you've really set my creative juices flowing now! Love your dress and I know what you mean by triggering that sort of reaction in your partner over something you've made - it just makes my heart sing when mine says something like that :) especially when he starts out skeptical!

    ReplyDelete